About Our Company
Indian Ocean Rock Lobster Pty. Ltd.
The Indian Ocean Rock Lobster Company was formed by the Thompson family of Cervantes.
When the rock lobster processing factory in Cervantes came on the market it presented a great opportunity for the company. An important aspect of the opportunity was the ability to control product quality from the ocean to the buyer. Being entirely managed by one entity meant any aspect of the process which caused loss in quality could be managed or changed.
Input and suggestions from fishermen, process workers, drivers, wholesalers, buyers and industry bodies were all carefully considered, as were the methods of our competitors.
And changed things were....
Several important principles were adopted:
- IF IT CAN'T BE MEASURED IT CAN'T BE MANAGED.
- FORGET THE REST GET THE BEST.
- DO WHAT THE MARKET ASKS FOR.
We minimised damage in catching and handling processes.
- The methods of potting which caused least damage to legs as feelers were identified. These methods were adopted across the fleet.
- New catch methods are being researched and developed to help reduce catch damage.
- The best methods of onboard measuring and handling were identified and standardised across our fleet.
- New equipment for zero-handling grading of live lobsters was introduced.
- A bar-coding system was introduced so as to be able to track lobsters throughout the processing and distribution system.
- Best practice methods for packing and cooling of live lobsters for transporting was implemented.
- Catch logging methods were changed so that you could trace any lobster to the boat it came from.
- This is an ongoing process where we continually review the catch and handling processes so as to minimise damage and maximise quality.
We upgraded the processing facility with the aim of maximising quality of fresh and value-added products.
- A full refurbishment of the processing factory was undertaken.
- Seawater pumping volume was increased to 200 litres/second with the installation of new pumps and pipelines. This allowed for both an increase in live holding capacity and an increase in water quality throughout our live holding system.
(Photos of the upgrade can be seen in this gallery)
- A state of the art steam cooker was installed to produce premium quality steamed lobster products.